- How old was she when she wrote her first book?
- Who did she write it with?
- How old was she when she published for the first time?
- Does she do anything apart from writing?
- What is her favourite book?
- What other kinds of books does she like?
- What does she like doing in her free time?
Try reading some of Chapter 8, if you can. As always, read for gist - for general meaning, for anything you can understand. Don't focus too much on individual words - don't let them trip you up. Use your dictionary if you must but don't use it every time you don't understand something.
What do you feel about the story? Does it provoke any reaction at all? What is it about? Can you tell? If it's too difficult, why not use Google Translate to help you get more context?
If you still can't capture what defines Laura Gallego, why don't you try and see if you can find a book of hers translated into English? Sometimes, a useful halfway house into a culture can be to read good literature in translation first.